Friday, February 18, 2005

Restraining orders break up robotics team

If anyone from GRT still reads this, go to http://www28.brinkster.com/mydeepthoughts/db/ if you'd like to sign the open letter to Mr. Dunbar.

I've tried several times now to write an entry about GRT, but I'm having difficulty putting into words my thoughts and feelings about both the situation at hand and my experience with the team in the past.

The team was my family in high school. GRT was the most important thing in my life, and I put it above all else- academic work, friends, and even my health many times. The program changed me in ways I never imagined, and I can't even begin to fathom who I would be if I hadn't gone through the program.

Over winter break I got together with Lilly and Kate for the first time in several years. They were seniors on the team when I was a sophomore, and the three of us were very close for the short amount of time we shared in the program. I didn't realize how much I missed them until I saw them again. It's not that my friends here at CMU aren't as good as they are, it's just... different. I think it has something to do with the experiences we went through and had together that makes our friendship special. The three of us had not been together since they graduated high school three years ago, yet this past break when we got together we got along just as well as old times. I'd like to clarify it wasn't like old times- we've all changed significantly since we were last together- but at the same time there are those indescribable things about them that make me feel... like home.

In addition to Lilly and Kate, I've been in recent contact with other past GRT members from my years. The people I met through the team are more than amazing friends; they are simply amazing people.

It makes me so frustrated and disappointed to see what has happened to the team. I won't lie and say that the team was a completely positive experience- some of my most upsetting memories come from the robotics team- but I think that a program as intense and beneficial as GRT was is bound to be extremely upsetting at points simply because of it's impact and greatness.

I wish there was something I could do. There's nothing more depressing than seeing people you care for being hurt and things you care about being torn down while you can do nothing but watch. I know the team that was shut down was not the same team I was on- the program has changed significantly in the 18 months that I've been gone. However, it is still so disheartening to see something that is such a large part of me die.

So long, GRT. Thanks for all the memories. You were G-R-T-Great.

No comments: