Sunday, July 08, 2007

Oh, Craigslist

Last week I realized my roommate had stolen the spare credit card I keep in my room, and charged $540 worth of groceries, beer, and takeout to it. How do I know it was him? I never carry the card on me, so it's impossible I lost it randomly. I haven't charged anything to it in over 3 years, so it's impossible that anyone stole the info while I was purchasing something. With that logic, it is still possible that one of his friends or my friends could have stolen it from my room, but my smooth criminal roommate went so far as to order pizza and thai food delivery to the condo- the two restaurants were very nice about giving me the order info when I explained the situation.

I immediately went back to the condo to remove anything valuable from my room. I looked at apartments the next day, and signed a lease on a studio in Hermosa on Friday. At that point I still hadn't said anything to my roommate, figuring that it would be best to confront him once I had all of my things packed and ready to move out immediately.

I waited until Saturday to move and had a couple of the big, tattooed guys from work come over while I confronted my roommate and moved all my stuff out. Matt wrote me a post-dated check to reimburse me for the deposit and the rest of this month's rent; I expect that the account will be closed or the check will bounce by the time I can cash it, though. At this point, I don't really care- I'm just glad to be out of there.

In retrospect, I should have spotted his drug addiction a lot sooner- asking for part of my rent in cash, always blowing his nose and complaining about his "sinus problems", his erratic sleep schedule, the way he frequently looked really sweaty and disheveled- but before this whole episode the possibility never crossed my mind.

Although the whole situation was really stressful and upsetting, everything worked out really well in the end. My new place couldn't be better situated, and I'm much happier there than I was sharing the condo with Matt.

No comments: